Electrical contractors in Lewisville, TX

Electrical Wiring: Tips for avoiding common mistakes

Electrical wiring is a critical part of any home improvement or repair project. Get it wrong and you could be in for a dangerous shock or even a fire. Here are some tips on avoiding common mistakes when wiring your home.

Make sure all electrical connections are tight:

Loose electrical connections are a leading cause of house fires. Make sure all outlets, switches, and fixtures are screwed in tight. Use a circuit tester to check for loose connections before you turn on the power.

Don’t overload circuits:

Circuits can only handle so much electricity with electrical contractors in Lewisville, TX. If you overload them, you risk blowing a fuse or causing a fire. Know the wattage of the appliances and lights you are using and don’t exceed the circuit’s capacity.

Use the right size wire:

Wires come in different sizes, and each can handle a different amount of current. Be sure to use the right size wire for the circuit and the appliances or lights you are connecting to it. If you’re not sure which size wire to use, ask an adult for help.

Don’t use extension cords permanently:

Extension cords are meant for temporary use only. If you need a permanent solution, have an electrician install additional outlets or circuits. A home inspection is an opportunity to learn about the condition of a house before you buy it. You will learn about the structure of the house, the condition of different systems, and the age and quality of the home’s components.

Keep cords and wires away from water:

Water and electricity don’t mix. Keep cords and wires away from water sources, such as sinks, tubs, and toilets. If you use an appliance or other electrical item while it is wet, you could be seriously injured or even killed.

Use GFCIs:

GFCIs (ground fault circuit interrupters) are devices that protect against electrical shocks. They should be installed in areas where water is present, such as kitchens and bathrooms.

Don’t DIY if you’re not qualified:

Electrical work is best left to the professionals. If you’re not qualified to do the work, don’t attempt it. Hire a licensed electrician to do the job right. If you’re thinking about doing your own wiring work, you should know that the job can be fairly dangerous. You could end up causing an electrical fire or killing yourself or someone else in the process.


By following these tips, you can avoid common mistakes when wiring your home. Keep your family safe by being diligent and careful when working with electricity.